Saturday, December 20, 2014

Disney Cruising without Kids - Date Night Every Night Part II

From my Disney Southern Caribbean Cruise - 
4 Oct through 11 Oct 2014 



While cruising the beautiful Southern Caribbean aboard the magical Disney Magic with my husband, Mike, I was pleasantly surprised by the fabulous dates we had each night of our cruise. Part II of Date Night Every Night is our last 3 date nights on our Disney Cruise sans kids. You can read about our first 4 dates in Date Night Every Night Part I.



The majestic Disney Magic


Our 5th date started out with a bang.  As we were leaving my favorite island, Grenada, we watched the ship sail away while lounging in comfortable chairs in the adults-only area.  After a very active day in Grenada, hiking and swimming, the lounging in the sun was so relaxing, I soon dozed off.  When I opened my eyes, I was delighted to see that the sun was about to set right in front of us. We celebrated with the drink of the day, Spooky Juice, and watched the sun retire for the evening. 


Gorgeous sunset leaving Grenada

After our pre-dinner sunset entertainment, we showered and got ready for dinner.  We had become big fans of Cabana's because we could show up any time instead of waiting until our assigned dining time of 8:30 pm. We found that Cabana's served many of the same dinners as the main dining rooms so there really wasn't a down side.  We enjoyed a nice dinner with just the two of us and decided to have an after dinner drink at one of the adult only nightclubs.


O'Gills Irish Pub

We chose to re-live our favorite part of our Ireland vacation and headed to O'Gills Irish Pub, located in the After Hours section of the ship. Kids are not allowed in the adult nightclubs after 9 pm but unfortunately we were trying to enjoy our drinks around 8:30 pm. Surprisingly there were quite a few loud kids in the pub at that time. Couldn't their parents have dropped them off at the kids club before coming in for a drink? Although our drink was delicious, the ambiance was not what we were hoping for so we ended our night early.  I wasn't too upset, however, as I was eager to wake up early the following day to see Barbados for the first time!


Lots of Halloween activities were available for the kiddos

Date night number 6 was packed full of fun, food and entertainment. We were going with the "cruise ship traditional" dinner and show, starting with the main show followed by our scheduled dinner at 8:30 pm in my favorite restaurant, Animator's Palate.  The nightly show in the Walt Disney Theater was "Walt Disney, The Dream Goes On" and I knew I didn't want to miss this tribute to one of my heroes, Walt Disney. The show did not disappoint and walked the audience through the major milestones of Walt's career.  There were some very talented actors, some of who could really belt out a tune.  Adding to the scenes of Walt's career were a few classic Disney song and dance numbers, including "Got no Strings" from Pinocchio and "I Wanna Be Like You" from the Jungle Book.  My only complaint was that the show wasn't long enough!


Our Cruise postcard singed by the Captain

After the show and feeling inspired to change the world, we went to meet the Captain and had him sign a postcard from the cruise.  I complimented him on the impressive parking job he had made in Barbados and he thanked me.

We had some time to kill before dinner so we walked around the ship and stumbled across a comedy show, Heath Hank with The Heath Show, in the nightclub, Phantoms.  He proved quickly to be quite hilarious, not only with his kid friendly jokes but with his rubbery facial expressions. I was almost in tears a couple of times from laughing so hard and it felt great!


The hallway leading up to Animator's Palate

We showed up to dinner in a great mood and told our table mates how funny Heath Hank was.  We had already had a fun night but it was just beginning.  Not only is Animator's Palate a restaurant like no other, but it was lobster night!  On 7 day cruises, one has the occasion to eat at Animator's Palate twice and each time you are treated to a different show.  The 2nd show is the one I enjoy the most because you get to draw your own cartoon character and later watch it animated on screens throughout the restaurant.  We quickly drew our characters to turn into our server and ordered our lobster and lava cake.  My lobster was over cooked so they brought me another lobster.  It was better but still not as succulent as Mike's lobster. The waiter insisted on bringing me out a 3rd lobster despite my protests.  I was impressed at their desire to please.  We then enjoyed the chocolate lava cake and watched the show begin. Everybody in the restaurant cheered as they saw their drawings turn into animation.  My silly looking character danced with Donald Duck just as my first drawing had on the Disney Fantasy almost 2 years ago.  

After a delicious and fun dinner, we went to see Heath Hank again because he was having an adults show too.  I found that I enjoyed the show for the kids more but wasn't surprised since I am basically a big kid.  I mean after all I'm cruising Disney with no kids!  We called it a night after having a great day and an eventful night.


We had a pre-date night swim on our last night

Our last night on the ship was our most relaxing, mostly because I was exhausted after a week of non-stop fun.  We had planned to have dinner at Cabana's again but found out that it is closed on the last night of the cruise.  I didn't want to wait until 8:30 to eat so we grabbed a burger and fries on the pool deck.  We ate under the stars and watched the "Princess and The Frog" on the large outdoor screen called Funnel Vision. It was a beautiful night and I was glad to have dinner outside to enjoy it.  After dinner, we went back to our room to start packing, which is when signs of the real world start creeping in.  I don't know if it was the prospect of facing the real world again or if it was all of the excitement of the past week hitting me at once, but suddenly I was utterly and completely exhausted. We finished packing and watched Ghostbusters on the TV in our room.  Neither of us could keep our eyes open to finish the movie and thus ended our last night of the cruise quite uneventfully.


My husband, Mike, and I thoroughly enjoying our Disney Cruise without kids


This concludes my writings about our Disney Southern Caribbean cruise. We started out in beautiful Puerto Rico and had 5 amazing ports of call, including Antigua, St Lucia, Grenada, Barbados and St Kitts. After each port we had a beautiful cruise ship waiting expectantly for us to return and showing us a fabulous date night every night with delicious food, entertaining shows, sunsets and even fireworks. This was one of the best weeks of my life, if not THE best week of my life, and you can't put a price on that!

Next week read about my California adventure with my 10 year old son. It was the least I could do after cruising Disney without him!


Click here for more pictures of the Disney Magic.




I hope you have enjoyed reading my entry from this Traveling Travel Agent's travels.  I am a travel agent because I love to travel and I love helping other people travel! Through strategic partnerships, I offer my clients preferred rates, complimentary upgrades and extra amenities like wine or shipboard credit. If you would like to receive weekly travel offers from my agency, Purple Palm Vacations, please sign up for our Exclusive Travel Specials.

Happy Travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment