Friday, October 24, 2014

Antigua - Beaches Galore!

From my Disney Southern Caribbean Cruise - 06 Oct 2014


Antigua will always hold a special place in my heart because back in 2000, it was the first Caribbean island I ever visited.  It's the place where I fell head over heals in love with the Caribbean and the island that started a 14 year love affair with this magical place of swaying palms, white sand beaches, and clear, turquoise water. It was also the first of five islands in five days on our Disney Southern Caribbean Cruise aboard the beautiful Disney Magic sailing from San Juan, Puerto Rico.  My first time in Antigua was a one week stay at an all-inclusive resort so this would be my first time checking it out as a cruise port, to see what it has to offer cruisers. I already knew it had a lot to offer beach lovers!


My husband, Mike, and I on the Antigua pier

On board the Magic, we woke up at 6 am to watch our mighty ship pull into port. One of the hidden gems in cruising is watching the ship sail up to a new exotic island each morning.  For anyone who appreciates modern technology, it doesn't get any better than watching a ship that's as long as the Eiffel Tower, maneuver into a parallel parking space. The sun had just risen over Antigua when we got ourselves up to our preferred viewing deck, deck 10, with our delicious, included coffee.  At first the sun was behind a thick layer of clouds on the horizon but as we drew nearer to the island, the clouds opened up and the sun shone through as if heaven itself had opened up to welcome us.  It was a beautiful sight!


Heaven shining down on Antigua

The reason I have dubbed myself the Traveling Travel Agent is because I am committed to finding the best vacation spots for my clients and I have found in my experience that no amount of reading can compare to experiencing a place firsthand.  So in addition to my research on Antigua as a port of call, I arranged a tour of Sandals Grande Antigua. This sprawling tropical paradise has the honor of being awarded the "World's Most Romantic Resort" for the last 14 years and I wanted to see for myself if it measured up.  Oh boy, did it ever!  From drop-dead gorgeous views to sprawling tropical grounds to one of the nicest beaches in the Caribbean, this resort is a lovers paradise.


View from the lobby of Sandals Grande Antigua


My official property tour didn't start until 1:00 pm and we had arrived at 9:00 am so we had time to enjoy the property or more specifically, check out the beach! We changed into our swimsuits in beautiful changing rooms and headed for the water.  The beach took my breath away.  It was the whitest, softest sand I have seen anywhere and it was immaculate. The sand felt so soft and warm beneath my toes, it felt like heaven.  I would be remiss not to mention the color of the water.  The light blue green looked almost fluorescent has it shimmered back at us.  I could gaze out at its beauty forever if I had the time. The beauty of the Caribbean is food for my soul and even 10 days later as I write this, I still feel nourished.


One of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean


After a glorious swim, we worked up an appetite for a 2nd breakfast and headed to the buffet at the Bayside Restaurant. We enjoyed probably the best smoked cheese I have ever had and indulged in mimosas since after-all, it was all-inclusive!  There was still plenty of time before my property tour so we went back to the water to work off some of the food by way of another swim.  We then went back up to our lounge chairs to relax to the sound of the gentle waves.  I should note that there were vendors on the beach but they were not at all pushy and responded to our "No thank you's" with a "Have a great stay."  It was refreshing compared to some Caribbean beaches I have been to.


Bayside Restaurant


It was finally time for the property tour so we went back to the changing rooms to get dressed and met Marcia for our tour.  She was a gracious hostess just as the rest of the Sandals staff had been extremely friendly and accommodating.  She showed us a few rooms and walked the entire resort with us, giving us the highlights.  I won't bore you with every last detail but you can see my tour through pictures here.  My overall take-away from the tour is that this resort is indeed a place for romance.  I could feel the love in the air as we walked by couples enjoying their stay. From the beautifully manicured, tropical grounds to the picture perfect beach, the resort was made for couples in love.


Honeymoon Romeo & Juliet Suite's Over-sized Balcony

After the tour, we had a little more time before we had to get back to the ship.  We put our swimsuits back on and went to the swim-up bar at the largest pool in the Eastern Caribbean. After all, it would not be a proper property tour without testing the swim-up bar!  They passed.  They made us a delicious rum punch with Appleton Rum (only premium liquor is used and it's all included), and they didn't skimp on the rum. That's a good rum punch in my book! We sat at an underwater table and sipped our tropical drink while watching couples swim by, talking and laughing.  It was delightful and I was sorry our time there was about to end.  


Largest pool in the Eastern Caribbean

We had met the nicest taxi driver on the way to Sandals and had arranged for him to take us back to the ship. He was waiting for us outside the lobby and took us back as planned. His name was Cutty with Jus Nice Taxi and he was great! I left my camera in his van and when my husband went back for it, he was waiting for us so he could return it. We slowly walked back to the ship, enjoying the walk and the scenery. The shops were colorful and inviting.  Once back at the pier, I experienced a peacefulness I have not know before. The way the light was shining on the bay and the calmness of the water gave me such a sense of well-being.  It was almost miraculous the way lighting like that could have such an peaceful effect on me.


Colorful shops at the Cruise Port

Overall, it was an amazing day and I couldn't have asked for more.  With 365 beaches to choose from, Antigua is a terrific cruise port for the beach lovers out there. To get to the beach, its easy to hop into one of the many waiting taxi's at the cruise port. For history buffs, there is something for you too. Nelson's Dockyard and Shirley Heights are historic sights giving you insight into the islands British history. Sandals Grande Antigua is an amazing place to spend a week in luxury with the one you love. A great option for couples cruising is a day pass at Sandals Grande Antigua. There you have it, my day in Antigua and my findings!


Sailing away from Antigua

Click here for more pictures from my adventure in Antigua!

I hope you have enjoyed reading my entry from this Traveling Travel Agent's travels.  I am a travel agent because I love to travel and I love helping other people travel! Through strategic partnerships, I offer my clients preferred rates, complimentary upgrades and extra amenities like wine or shipboard credit. If you would like to receive weekly travel offers from my agency, Purple Palm Vacations, please sign up for our Exclusive Travel Specials.

Happy Travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment