Saturday, December 6, 2014

Disney Cruising without Kids - A Perfect Day at Sea

From my Disney Southern Caribbean Cruise - 5 Oct 2014


Once in awhile, there is a day that stands out among all the others. A day so magical, you wish it didn't have to end.  This day was our day at sea, the first full day on our Disney Southern Caribbean cruise this past October.  You know that it is going to be a great day when it starts out with room service delivered to your luxurious stateroom and that is how this perfect day at sea started for my husband, Mike and I.


Our luxurious Verandah Stateroom

After a simple breakfast of cold cereal, I took my coffee out to the verandah and wrote in my journal for a bit. Sitting out on your own private balcony is one of the greatest joys at sea.  There is something so peaceful watching the cruise ship glide through the water while the world goes by in all of it's sunny Caribbean glory. Not only is it motivational but it feeds the soul with the beauty we all seek.   


The captivating, never-ending sea

Next we went to get some exercise and even my workout was magical on this perfect sea day.  In the Fitness Area on Deck 9 Forward, I hopped on an elliptical machine and was pleased to have a view straight out over the bow of the ship.  Not only did this workout come with a view, but it came with a show. There were a handful of birds flying with the ship and at times I could watch them dive down to fish.  It was fun to watch and a great reminder that not even a workout is mundane when one is at sea.


The workout room faces forward for great sea views

After working out, we rewarded ourselves with a swim in the adults only pool in the Quiet Cove adults area. The adults area was serene and relaxing.  We hung out in the pool for awhile and I marveled at the perfect weather, in the low 80's with only a couple of small clouds to give contrast to the big blue sky.  I looked up and felt the gentle movement of the ship while I watched the clouds go by.  At the risk of over using the word, it was magical.  After swimming, we went up one deck to sunbathe.  It was so soothing to lay in the warm sun with the gentle breeze and watch us move through that lovely Caribbean sea. These were the smoothest seas I had ever seen and traveling at a leisurely 9 knots made for a peaceful pace and a peaceful state of mind.


Adults Only pool in Quiet Cove

It was a wonderful morning of working out followed by glorious relaxation at sea and next it was time to fill our hungry tummies. We decided to forego the craziness of the buffet and opted for the sit down option at Lumiere's.  It was a good choice because instead of fighting the crowds, we sat at a civilized table all to ourselves and marveled at how few kids were in the restaurant.  I enjoyed a decadent and decidedly delicious four course meal which consisted of a Cheese Quesadilla, Walnut Apple Salad, Pasta Alfredo and Key Lime Pie.  I found Lumiere's, named after the candlestick in Beauty and the Beast, to be a beautiful, classy restaurant with very accommodating servers.


Lumiere's is named after the candlestick in Beauty and the Beast

We needed to walk off some of that yummy yet calorie laden lunch so we opted to join the Art of the Theme Show Tour.  With a title like that, I didn't know what to expect but I at least knew there would be walking.  It turned out to be a ship tour for adults and was filled with fun facts about the Disney Magic and Disney Cruise Line.  I thought the most interesting of the Disney Magic facts is that the ship is almost as long as the Eiffel Tower is tall.  One thing that we learned, which really impressed me, is that Disney leaves no detail left unnoticed.  One example of this is that the deck with the kids clubs on it has a shorter ceiling than other decks to make the kids feel bigger. Another example is that the carpet is different on every deck to match the theme of the deck.  We also learned a lot about the history of cruising and how Disney cruise ships today pay homage to the golden era of cruising. It was a very enjoyable tour for a ship geek like myself!


The carpet in front of the Walt Disney Theater

Earlier in the day I had what can only be described as a Disney Magical Moment at Sea.  I was walking back to our stateroom to meet back up with my husband when I heard piano music from the atrium start to play "When You Wish Upon a Star."  I looked over the nearby railing down into the atrium and saw that 3 Disney Princesses had come out to greet the excited kids.  I thought to myself how surreal this scene was compared to everyday life.  And therein lies the magic, this total escape from everyday life where Princesses are real, live music is heard on a daily basis and a floating resort takes us to a new exotic destination every day.  I stood there in front of the pumpkin window and stared out at sea taking in the beautiful piano music and I just stayed there and enjoyed this unexpected moment.

Site of the Disney Magical Moment at Sea

By the time our Art of the Theme Show tour was over, it was time to get ready for our dinner at Palo. I'll save the details on that dinner for my next post where I talk about date night every night when cruising Disney without kids. Let's just say that Palo didn't disappoint us and it was the perfect end to a perfect day. From the relaxing morning and luxurious meals, to the magic moments and soul enriching beauty of the sea, this day at sea on the Magic was indeed magical. Not only was it my best day at sea, it's very possible it was the best day of my life!


Me at sea, where I am the happiest!

Click here for more pictures of the Disney Magic.



I hope you have enjoyed reading my entry from this Traveling Travel Agent's travels.  I am a travel agent because I love to travel and I love helping other people travel! Through strategic partnerships, I offer my clients preferred rates, complimentary upgrades and extra amenities like wine or shipboard credit. If you would like to receive weekly travel offers from my agency, Purple Palm Vacations, please sign up for our Exclusive Travel Specials.

Happy Travels!





No comments:

Post a Comment