Saturday, April 18, 2015

Onboard the Newly Re-Imagined Disney Magic Day 4 - At Sea

From My 4-Night Bahamian Disney Cruise - Jan 2014

Once again I started out the day with high hopes that the weather would finally turn for the better.  I mean this is the Bahamas where it's around 80 degrees almost every day. We can't have 4 days in a row of chilly 60's, can we?  It turns out we can and this day turned out to be colder than the last. Little did I know as I frolicked in the water at Castaway Cay, it would be the last time I or Braden donned a swimsuit. During our first Disney Cruise, my son lived in the pool.  What were we going to do during a day at sea with no pool time?  



No sun in sight on this chilly day at sea.

Luckily, we had waited until our day at sea to see Frozen, which was playing daily in 3D in the Buena Vista theater. After a lazy morning of TV in our room, we headed down to deck 4, made a quick stop at Whitecaps (a gift shop) to get my Castaway Cay print signed by the captain and anxiously awaited our movie.  This was our 3rd time seeing Frozen (my new all time favorite Disney movie, replacing The Little Mermaid) and I was just as excited to see it on the ship in 3D as I was the first time seeing it.  


The beautiful Buena Vista Theater

I was expecting to see a great movie in a beautiful theater on a cruise ship (which I happen to think is really cool) but what I wasn't expcecting was to hear people laugh harder and longer at Olaf's jokes than they did in Denver.  It wasn't the stifled chuckle of busy people who barely have time to have fun, it was the long, let-it-all-loose laugh of the carefree and happy.  When the child behind me accidentally pushed his Buzz Lightyear toy to make it talk, there was more laughter.  I have to admit the sound of the toy annoyed me, but hearing the audience's approval quickly turned my sour thoughts. What a world we would live in if everyone lived life as though they were on a cruise! 


We also enjoyed family fun in the D Lounge

After the movie, I naively thought we could try to swim.  One step out onto the windy pool deck and I knew we would not be swimming that day.  We retreated to the warmth of our room for more TV then ventured out again to meet our friends at the indoor arcade.


Characters coming down for the Farewell Party in the Atrium.

Next it was time for our pre-dinner show, Dreams, in the Walt Disney Theater.  We had enjoyed Villians the night before, narrated by Hades from the movie Hercules with guest appearances by popular Disney villians such as Maleficent, Captain Hook and my favorite, Ursula.  I was delighted to watch the actress who played her nail, "Poor Unfortunate Souls."  

I was even more excited to see the award winning best show at sea, Dreams.  With a name like that, it was sure to be full of the Disney inspiration that I know and love.  It did not disappoint.  All of the actors were top notch and the scenes from favorite movies, like The Lion King, The Little Mermaid and Aladdin came to life right there on the stage. The highlight for me was watching Ariel sing "Part of Your World" but the highlight for my son and friend, Kylee, was when it snowed during the performance right on us!  It was actually tiny bubbles but it was pure magic to watch all of those kids in the theater look up with their hands reaching up and wonder in their eyes.  It's magic moments like these that will keep me cruising with Disney long after my boy is grown.


No matter what the weather, I had quality fun time with my son, Braden.


When I look back on this cruise, it was not the fun in the sun that I imagined spending with my son in the Bahamas.  I pictured our days filled with swimming in the Goofy pool with classic Disney movies playing on the Funnel Vision (the outdoor big screen), taking thrilling plunges down waterslides at Atlantis and the AquaDunk, and soaking up the warm rays of the sun.  I never did try the AquaDunk and Braden only went the one time.  But there were still so many great memories created on this cruise, from new friends to shared laughter with my son, that I will treasure forever and I found out that if the weather is not going to cooperate, then a Disney Cruise has plenty of fun to be had inside the ship. 


Goofy shows off his dance moves in the Promenade Lounge.

I think the one striking memory that I will take to my grave was walking out of dinner one night, through a family lounge and seeing Goofy out on the dance floor showing off his best moves.  It was like spotting an unexpected rock star.  To me, that scene epitomizes what a Disney Cruise is all about.  

I hope that you have enjoyed reading my entry from this Traveling Travel Agent's travels.  I am a travel agent because I love to travel and I love helping other people discover our big beautiful world! Through strategic partnerships, I offer my clients preferred rates, complimentary upgrades and extra amenities. If you would like to receive weekly travel specials from my agency, Purple Palm Vacations, please sign up for our Exclusive Travel Specials.

No comments:

Post a Comment